Friday 18 November 2011

Back to the Classics Challenge 2012


 

As I mentioned before I've decided to do a couple of challenges for the first time. Back to the Classics is the PERFECT challenge for me as I'm already trying to read a number of classics as part of my 100 must-read book challenge that i set myself. So it'll be great to read some of the all time greats.

I've listed a couple of options for each just in case I can't get ahold of a particular book easily.

This will be my main post throughout the year for this challenge and I will update it along the way with all the books I read for the challenge.


Any 19th Century Classic
Great Expectations (Charles Dickens)

Any 20th Century Classic
1984 (George Orwell)

Reread a classic of your choice
The Hobbit (JRR Tolkien)
(I read The Hobbit before when I was about 12 but I remember so little of it I want to read it again)

A Classic Play
Hamlet (William Shakespeare)

Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction
This is the most difficult for me. Maybe something by Edgar Allan Poe? - Suggestions welcome!

Classic Romance 
Emma (Jane Austen)
Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
Wuthering Heights (Emily Brontë)

Read a Classic that has been translated from its original language
One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel García Márquez)
The Three Musketeers (Alexandre Dumas)

Classic Award Winner
Animal Farm (George Orwell)

Read a Classic set in a Country that you will not visit during your lifetime
Love In The Time Of Cholera (Gabriel García Márquez) - Columbia
The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)  - Afghanistan