Friday 11 May 2012

Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)


Title: Little Women
Author: Louisa May Alcott
First Published: 1868
This Edition Published: Unknown
Source: Book club borrowed
Genre: Classics
Goodreads | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk
Photo missing: I had a unique copy borrowed from a friend which didn't even have a publishing date on it and sadly my phone is having problems and won't send the file so I decided any old photo wouldn't do this time.

Little women is the cinnamon sticky bun of books. Oh so sweet. And yet I think that's where it fell down for me. It was so full of morals and underlying lessons I felt like I was re-living an 80s sitcom. Lets see what I can remember from the book - we meet a group of sisters who are living in poverty with their mum while their father is off fighting. They play, they do their chores, they learn some life lessons, they met boy next door, they play, they do their chores, they learn some more life lessons.

Yep think that's about it. Okay so here's the truth of it, I also didn't read the whole story. I thought I would by the end of the book but no it turns out the copy I have (a cute little hardback copy I borrowed off a friend) is only part of the story. It's the originally published Little Women without the additional Good Wives story attached which most publications now include in one. I've seen the movie so I knew by the time I got to the end that I was missing a big chunk of the whole story and so knew there must be sequels. But I wasn't too fussed by this first part so I'm not too worried if I don't pick up the other half or the other ones after it (Little Men and Jo's Boys).

I do like this quote though which alludes to Beth's storyline in future books (CAUTION mini spoiler alert)

"There are many Beths in this world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully, that noone sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind."

Don't get me wrong I can do sweet, I really enjoyed Anne of Green Gables, but I just couldn't get into this book. Maybe reading it straight after The Woman in White which is a kick-ass book is half my problem. Maybe ordering your reading is more important than I've ever realised.


Read as part of these challenges: 100 Book ChallengeThe Classics Club


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery