Thursday 5 April 2012

Room (Emma Donaghue)


Title: Room
Author: Emma Donaghue
Publication Date: 2010
Publisher: Picador
Pages:320
Source: Library
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Goodreads | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk

It is highly likely that I'm one of the few people in the world who hadn't read this book, I've seen it everywhere! So when I joined up to the local library in my new town (we've recently moved) and I spotted this one on the shelf I snapped it up.


Now I'm always a little nervous when I read a book that everyone else has raved about because sometimes you can expect things and when your expectations aren't met you get a bit disappointed. So I tried really hard to go into this one with an open mind.

I did really enjoy it, predominantly because it's different. As the entire book is narrated by the 5 year old boy it provides this unique perspective. Donaghue was able to perfectly capture the innocence and love that envelops a child's world while still conveying so many raw emotions. It is a very clever book and a great read.

*Little spoiler follows*
I had thought that this book took place entirely in the 'room', that's as much as I knew about the story itself but I was pleased to find that the location moved throughout the novel which meant for a much more exciting read. It's a pretty grim subject matter but somehow the child's point of view turns everything on it's head and makes you thing about situations differently.
*Little spoiler ends*

I can see why this book has had such acclaim and I would definitely recommend it.

Read It

Order from Amazon.comAmazon.co.uk


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery